December 07, 2014 | Tom Dunham
Passage: Job 1:20-22
What Does the Bible Say About the Beginning and the End of Life?
Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshiped. And he said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb and naked shall I return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the Name of the LORD.” Job 1:20,21
To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck what is planted. Ecclesiastes 3:1,2
‘Current events’ from November 1st & 4th drive this question: What does the Bible say about the beginning and the end of life?
The beginning of life: What do ‘gender reveal parties’ and the suffering of Job say about the beginning of life?
- Three types of gender reveal parties:
- ‘Traditional’ … we had seven such parties …
- Contemporary’ – via the technology of ultrasound …
- Gender reveal parties on the day of conception!
~ Job 3:3 – “May the day perish on which I was born, and the night in which it was said, ‘A male child is conceived.’”
~ About 360,000 a day! … 250/min. … 4+/sec. …
The end of life: How can what happened on the battlefield between Israel and the Philistines teach us about the end of life?
- See I Samuel 31:2-5 … and II Samuel 1:4-10 - … I was sure he could not live …” … and II Samuel 1:14-16 … execute him! …’”
- Even if someone appears to be near death & is ‘terminal’, it is wrong to take that life … it is the same as murder in the first degree at any other time of life …
- Not to ignore the sadness & pain of suffering before death or that anyone wouldn’t want God to end it quickly … see Job 6:8,9 … but that is God’s business & to accept that is to ‘die with dignity’!
~ see the courage of Lauren Hill …
Life – and gender – begin at conception. And God knows the day! And it is for Him to determine the date of our death.
More important than the date of our death is where we will spend eternity: in heaven or hell?
… it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment. Hebrews 9:27
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23