January 29, 2017 | Pat Schultz
Passage: Matthew 25:31-46
The Questions We Hope We are Never Asked! - Part 1
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15
Principles to remember when answering hard questions:
- Don’t let go of what you DO KNOW, because of something you DON’T KNOW.
- Preparing means work.
- Listen for ‘questions behind the questions’ that are being asked.
- Your tone and attitude in the answer is vitally important.
- Hard questions are HARD. Be careful not to disrespect them as though they are easy.
41 “Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and His angels…. 46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” Matthew 25:31-46 (NIV84)
1.) How can a loving God send people to Hell?
- Doesn’t the punishment far outweigh the crime?
- Does God really want anyone to go to hell?
- Isn’t God powerful enough to keep people from going to hell?
What are the questions behind the questions:
Hard questions lead to gospel-sowing and affirming opportunities!