March 19, 2017 | Tom Dunham
Passage: Proverbs 1:8-9
My son, hear the instruction of your father, and do not forsake the law of your mother; for they will be graceful ornaments on your head, and chains about your neck! Proverbs 1:8,9
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you.” Exodus 20:12
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.” Eph. 6:1-3
God wants to give you a satisfying, long life! He wants ‘bling’ you!
Good things happen when we:
- Hear the instructions and laws of our parents …
- Honor our parents …
Q: Do you (know and) hear and follow your parents’ instructions/‘laws’?
(Example from Bob’s dad: “Read a book, improve your mind!”)
Q: Do you honor your parents?
- Just by living wisely you will honor them: My son, be wise and make my heart glad, that I may answer him who reproaches me. Proverbs 27:11
- Ct.: Whoever keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons shames his father. Proverbs 28:7
Our eyes will show it:
- “The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness.” Matthew 6:22,23
- Ct: Whoever curses his father or his mother, his lamp will be put out in deep darkness. Proverbs 20:20 Also see Proverbs 13:9
Þ And: The eye that mocks his father, and scorns obedience to his mother, the ravens of the valley will pick it out, and the young eagles will eat it. Proverbs 30:17
What if I had ‘bad’ parents? ‘Answer’: … … …
A short ‘case history’ … … …
When we ‘hear’, ‘follow’, & ‘honor’ our parents, God will ‘bling’ us!